Trenton Rosenwald Middle School Parent Involvement Plan
The Trenton Rosenwald Middle School Parent Involvement Plan aligns with the Trenton Special School District Parent Involvement Plan and is based on the framework through which families, educators, and communities can work together to improve teaching and learning. Families have a major influence on children’s success in school and through life. As a result of this influence, positive results with student achievement occur when schools, families, and community groups work together to support learning.
Research indicates that a positive partnership between school and family will contribute to student achievement and success in school. These benefits include:
· Improved ability of parents to assist their children with school and learning
· Increased student achievement
· Increased student attendance
· Improved student attitudes and positive behavior
· Increased graduation rate
· Greater success in post-secondary education
The Parent Involvement Plan was developed to build trusting, collaborative relationships among administrators, teachers, families, and community members. It focuses on family needs as well as their cultural differences. As a working document, this plan seeks to alleviate barriers or factors which might inhibit meaningful interaction between parents and school personnel. This document will continue to grow and develop as the current process is evaluated annually for effectiveness. Being a Title I School, and through collaboration, coordination, technical assistance, and other support, school administration, teachers, parents, and community leaders offer the following plan for parental involvement. The plan is in compliance with local board policy, state law, and Federal mandates of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and is posted on the TRMS school website.
The Trenton Rosenwald Middle School Parent Involvement Plan focuses on five goals:
Goal 1: Trenton Rosenwald Middle School will use various communication strategies to provide additional information to parents and to increase parent and family engagement.
- The TRMS website will make available to parents school information/announcements and a comprehensive calendar of all upcoming school events.
- TRMS will provide information about upcoming events, school and district policies, and celebrations of student, staff, and community successes on social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- TRMS, along with TSSD, provides ParentVue Portal as a method for parents to track students grades in each of the four content area classes.
- TRMS administration, teachers, and coaches will communicate with parents via a Remind Application to provide parents with immediate updates.
- TRMS will provide parents with three Progress Reports throughout the school year and one Final Report Card at the end of the school year.
- Teachers will routinely contact parents on an individual basis by phone or e-mail to communicate about their child's progress.
Goal 2: Trenton Rosenwald Middle School will hold regularly scheduled parent meetings, conferences, and activities throughout the school year providing flexible meeting times, with the goal of increasing parent and family engagement and building staff and parent capacity to engage in these types of efforts.
- TRMS will schedule an annual school wide meeting to which all parents of participating children shall be invited and encouraged to attend. At this meeting the policy, legal requirements, and the parents’ rights to be involved will be explained. A discussion about Federal Programs and the utilization of Title I funding will also occur at this meeting.
- TRMS teachers, club sponsors, and coaches will schedule parent meetings to keep parents informed and provide avenues for parents to volunteer in school activities.
- TRMS will schedule a Literacy Night in the Fall that will encourage families and community members to assemble at the school to promote an overall culture for reading in the school and community.
- TRMS will host two parent/teacher conference nights for teachers to meet individually with parents of children in their classrooms, providing information regarding their child's grades and assignments, explanations of homework and grading procedures, and suggestions to help coordinate school-parent efforts to support their child.
- TRMS will work with TSSD to help provide a smooth transition from one school to the next by raising parent awareness of procedures and related activities. TRMS will host special orientation programs for parents and students to help the transition. Parents will have the opportunity to meet teachers and staff at the end of the school year.
- TRMS will encourage parents in the following types of roles and activities to increase their involvement and support for student learning.
- Open House
- Parent-school organizations (PATT)
- Booster Clubs (Band, Athletics)
- Clubs/Organizations (Student Council, Beta Club, FCA)
Goal 3: Trenton Rosenwald Middle School will provide opportunities for parents to be involved in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the school wide school improvement plan.
Goal 4: Trenton Rosenwald Middle School will provide resources for parents.
- TRMS will distribute each year a copy of the school's parent involvement plan. Recommended roles for parents/teachers/students and school, suggestions of ways parents can become involved in their child's education, parent and family engagement activities planned for the current school year and information about the system that will be provided in the Parent/Student Handbook that is sent home at the beginning of the school year.
- TRMS will include in the school's Parent/Student Handbook the school's process for resolving parental concerns, including how to define a problem, whom to approach first, and how to develop solutions. A School-Parent Compact will be provided to parents and will outline how parents, school staff, and students share the responsibility for learning.
- The TRMS Guidance Counselor will provide information for counseling and other services as needed by parents.
Goal 5: Trenton Rosenwald Middle School, in coordination with TSSD Federal Programs Policies, will administer and use parent surveys to evaluate our Parent Involvement Plan and activities, and to solicit feedback for improving parent engagement in the school.